Alfred always tries to establish a direct or peer-to-peer (P2P) connection between the Viewer and the Camera device. However, when this direct connection is not possible, the Alfred app will relay the data through an intermediate server so that the Viewer and Camera devices can still talk to each other.
⚠️ Note: Firewalls and other operator limitations might also sometimes affect P2P connections.
Below is a quick illustration of what P2P and relay are:
Source: Peer-to-peer vs relay
A common issue that might be caused by a relay connection is that live-viewing sessions may get cut off every few minutes. If you keep getting disconnected from the Live feeds every few minutes, try to follow the troubleshooting tips:
- 📶 Connect the Viewer device to another network
- 📱 Switch your mobile network type (e.g., 3G/4G/LTE)
- 🌐 Disable any VPN or anti-virus service on your phone
- ❌ Check if a firewall blocks the connection
- 🚫 Check if the connection is restricted or slowed down by your internet service provider
🙋 Still have questions? Let us know via the in-app "Report an Issue" channel.