Continuous Recording is a new feature that will be available in-app version 2022.4.0 and above. With Continuous Recording activated on your Camera, you will be able to record continuously without missing any important moments. The recording runs in an 8-hour loop that overwrites the oldest video with new footage, although the recording loop could be shorter depending on the storage available on your device. You will be able to go back and watch any of the footage during that 8-hour loop, regardless of whether any motions were detected or not.
⚠️ Note: To maintain the stability of the product, the recording length in the officially released version might be shorter than the beta version.
In this article, we have listed what you need to know about Alfred's Continuous Recording:
- How do I turn on the Continuous Recording?
- How do I view the recorded footage with Playback?
- What is the device storage requirement?
- Frequently asked questions
How do I turn on Continuous Recording?
Please follow the steps below to turn on Continuous Recording from your Viewer device:
- Make sure your Camera device is online
- Go to the camera list on your Viewer device
- Tap the wheel icon on the camera’s thumbnail
- Scroll down and turn on the Continuous Recording toggle
How do I view the recorded footage with Playback?
Please follow the steps below to playback the recorded footage on your Viewer device:
- Make sure your Camera device is online, and Continuous Recording is already turned on
- Tap the camera’s thumbnail on your Viewer device
- Tap the playback button in the bottom left corner
- Tap and drag the timeline to view recorded footage from a specific time. The red bars will show you when motions were captured.
You may also pinch or zoom in to change the scale on the timeline
⚠️ Note: You will only see red bars marking captured motions on the timeline if Motion Detection is turned on.
What is the device storage requirement?
The storage requirements for Free and Premium users’ devices are not the same due to the different video resolutions. The free storage space on your Camera device will also affect the maximum video loop length.
To get a full loop of 8 hours of Continuous Recording, Free and Premium Alfred users will separately need the following storage requirements on their Camera device:
🎥 Free users: Minimum of 0.6 GB with 240p video resolution
🎥 Premium users: Minimum of 2.4 GB with 720p video resolution
⚠️ Note: If your device does not have the minimum free storage space listed above, your Continuous Recording loop may be shorter than 8 hours.
Frequently asked questions
1. Can I download the full 8-hour loop of the video?
Unfortunately, the Alfred app does not support downloading the full loop of video at the moment. However, you can download the Event videos that were recorded from Motion Detection during the Continuous Recording session. Please follow the instructions here to download Event videos.
2. I don’t want Alfred to use the storage on my device, what can I do?
Continuous Recording needs to use the storage on your device to function properly. If you don’t want Alfred to automatically save any videos on your device, you can:
- Turn off Continuous Recording and/or
- Tap "Delete All Footage" in Settings to remove all recorded Continuous Recording videos
3. My Continuous Recording loop is less than 8 hours, what should I do to get a full loop?
If you are getting less than 8 hours of Continuous Recording loop, it is likely that the free storage space on your Camera device is less than the minimum storage requirement. Please free up some space on your Camera device by following the links below:
- Android device: https://support.google.com/android/answer/7431795?
- iOS device: https://support.apple.com/HT206504
4. Can I choose a different video loop length other than 8 hours?
Continuous Recording is still in Beta, and we currently do not support customizing the video loop length. If this feature would be valuable for you, please send us your feedback via the in-app "Report an Issue" and select the "Suggestion" category.
⚠️ Note: Continuous Recording does not currently support WebViewer/WebCamera.
🙋 Still have questions? Let us know via the in-app "Report an Issue" channel.